Sunday, February 19, 2012

Philosophical Coverage

I began exploring philosophy at age 18. It spawned out of my desire to prove the existence of God beyond the shadow of a doubt. That turned out to be a silly idea for a multitude of reasons, primarily beginning with the problem of defining "God", which isn't possible if one wishes to speak of the real one, and ending with the fact that nothing can be proven. I am not, however, agnostic - if I was to even accept agnosticism on the basis of philosophy, I would feel compelled to go the whole extent of denying the elements of reality were any bit distinguishable (which they are, as I intend to explain).

Epistemology is a very interesting subject. Yes, anyone can appreciate it once they understand it. However, I have yet to see someone put it in layman's terms. Therefore, I bestow on myself that task. This post will begin what will probably be a long series of posts to explain epistemology in understandable terms. As you read, you will probably have objections, but hopefully, you will have more questions, a sign that you are actually understanding what I'm saying and not just basing your interpretation of my words off of your first impression.

For speaking about epistemology, I've chosen a simple outline. It is important that, in examining my posts, you follow the logic pattern in the order of the outline. Note that by no means does this say that the subsequent posts will be in this order. Rather, I will select from these topics and proceed to develop what I've said about them. I would prefer that you "get the gist" of what I'm saying than trying to remember my exact words since the way I phrase things will probably not be how you are accustomed to seeing them (and the idea you perceive after reading each sentence will probably not be what I had in mind when I wrote it).

The outline I have chosen is as follows:
> Introduction to the topic
> Philosophical Chaos
> Practical applications
> What we can trust

Introduction to the topic
Articles in this category are meant to begin explaining philosophy and epistemology. Commonly-used terminology will be explained. Furthermore, the origins of philosophy (including examinations of ancient philosophical ideas, how they may have been developed, and what their implications are) will be presented.

Philosophical Chaos
Articles in this category are designed to explain the concept of what I call "philosophical chaos", an idea that describes the lack of truth and definition of things. It accounts for why proof of things is impossible and arguments can go either way. The implications of philosophical chaos and the consequences of its implications will be explored in articles discussing it.

Practical applications
The articles will attempt to present the practical applications of epistemology and philosophical chaos. These articles may also cover the abuses of epistemology, including both how people speak negatively about it and how people have misused it.

What we can trust
These articles will present ideas against having a purely existentialistic or nihilistic point of view. They will also present ideas that counter the applicability of philosophical chaos to the real world. In other words, there is such a thing as absolute truth. The concept of nowlos will be explored but only as much as it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment